Rss Digg Twitter Delicious Facebook Stumbleupon

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Schedule Update

Well, I had hoped to get more time in to update the blog and let you know how the trip is going and how the work in Uganda is going. Since the last post we have really been going a lot and I have 449 photos on my camera and tons of video.

I can't catch up all the blogging tonight. It's 9:00 p.m. here on a Tuesday night and I need to try and catch up on a pretty full, and extremely meaningful set of experiences that have impacted me as a result of the work we have been doing since. For now, and for those who have been interested in the working details of this visit or those who are supporters and want to know how I have been utilizing the time, let me put a brief recap of the schedule since last week Thursday. And, for fun let me throw this teaser photo in as well. For a kid from the prairies in Alberta, it just doesn't get much more interesting than this.....

We were on our way back from Eastern Uganda with Justice Ogoola and just as he had promised, at this particular intersection, there they were on the road.... I cannot even tell you what species of Primate they are (becasue I don't have a clue), all I know is that I was ready to jump outside the vehicle to take photos. As I was about to make this happen, that's when many of the larger ones were running right towards the truck. I thought at that point that I was led of the Spirit to perhaps remain in the vehicle and snap photos from there. Apparently they get bananas given to them by motorists, and so they are accustomed to humans being the givers of all things good. But sheesh, they are rather large animals when they get up close!

Anyway, I'll blog in more depth about the following schedule, but that is what we have been up to:
Thursday July 3rd: Luzira Upper Prison (BOMA section) sentenced men. Service for 200 or so men followed by another service in the condemned section for 150 men on death row.
Friday July 4th: To Jinja Prison for two more services and meeting the inmates and staff. First one was with women on death row, followed by sentenced and condemned men. Jinja is where the NILE RIVER BEGINS! Finally I had made it to the source of the Nile.
Saturday July 5th: Accomnpany Justice Ogoola to Busia in Eastern Uganda (near Kenya border) to visit humanitarian projects, local Church of Uganda churches and clergy he supports. Visits to 4 of 5 preschools Justice Ogoola heads up serving 800 children. Also then had a traditional African meal with Sophie's family in their village and finally meet her mom Jesephine!
Sunday July 6th: Preached at St. Peters main church (English service) and then at Bishop Haddington memorial church after (translated into Samia), followed by visits to local projects, families and work being done amongst the LuSamia people.
Monday July 7th: We visited the local Prison and addressed the inmates followed by accompanying Justice ogoola to meet District Political leaders (in two different districts) and officials in Session about the upcoming launch of the Bible translated into LuSamia, where I was able to bring greetings to the political leaders and on behalf of people back home. We then met Catholic and Anlgican Church leaders about the launch and then make the long trip back to Kampala.
Tuesday July 8th: Visited "Helping Hands" preschool, primary schoold project recently began by Adreda, a good friend of Sophie's.
UPCOMING:

Wednesday July 9th: Murchison Bay Prison for sentenced and remand men followed by the Women`s prison for sentenced and death row women.
Thursday July 10th: catch up to local ministry and NGO `s I had planned to connect with if possible and visit justice Ogoola once again to be presented with a gift for my good friend Heidi Heavy Shield back home and the Blackfoot and Cree people she serves at the Lethbridge Correctional Centre (this is a cool story I`ll blog on later).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated to keep weirdo's away! Sorry for any inconvenience.