Rss Digg Twitter Delicious Facebook Stumbleupon

Friday, July 11, 2008

Splashing some Megapixels for ya

O.K. Here we go, I'll see if I can opload and post a bunch of photos but without a pulitzer prize winning article that you all love so much! This may take a while...

Here's looking downstream of the Nile just after it exits Lake Victoria at the Source


Here's me and The local Archdeacon Martin in the Busia area where Justice Ogoola is from. We are standing on the floor of the big church he is building for the community. I think the Judge has about 3 or 4 churches he is currently building.



Here we are at the border between Uganda and Kenya. The communities of Busia, Lumino, etc where the judge, Sophie, Douglas are all from is within eyesight of the border. Small items trade goes back and forth here. Guys on bikes will take 3 or 4 small things at a time across to avoid duty and taxes. They do this back and forth all day and eventually have imported lots of stuff!



Here's the staff of Justice Ogoola's Humanitarian projects called Childreach Africa. Raymond, me, Ida, and a teacher at the first of 5 preschools that serve 800 children throughout the 5 schools.



Here's the first group of kids. Each school has anywhere from 150 to 300 children registered.

At first they are not really sure they want to shake your hand. Once one child does, then they all want to.


Then after a while they really want to shake your hand but they don't look you in the eye they look you in the hand as they study the strange color. Many kids have not seen Mzungu's before



Here inside the school (mud hut -walled but very beautiful) I am addressing the parents and teachers and caregivers. The community is very involved in these projects and that's how success happens. And not just the women involved but the men are too! Imagine that!
It's a little hard adjusting to the deferential and respectful way Ugandan's treat guests, especially north americans. They pull out the best chairs (thrones) and seat you right up in front because you are their honored guests. These pictures are for Lisa Scammell as proof and to show that when i get back to work i expect the same deferential treatment as an honored guest!!! No, ...honored KING!!


Here is Ida (Left) and Margaret (right) who administrate the projects and arrange for teachers. Most teachers have a ratio of 1 teacher per 80 to 120 children, receive a pittance in salary and mostly are volunteers who do this out of love for the children. Boy oh boy, next trip here i am bringing my teacher, nurse, counsellor, psychologist friends to be put to work!




Here they gather the children to sing for me and greet me.



Here I am to address the parents who make up the board, the teachers etc. Notice that I have them spellbound!!! Too bad dana doesn't pay attention to my sermons this well. But from now on when i get home Dana will be carrying my throne to the front of the church for me to be seated upon...


Here the Chairman addresses me and thanks me for visiting and for my remarks. By the way, for my feminist friends (no Sharon, you didn't automatically come to mind when I said that) notice the strong involvement of the men in childrens matters. Africa is a patriarchal society, but not like ours used to be. Women are very much the central part of leadership when it comes to community affairs and management. They let the men sit up front and they at the back however, to perhaps trick the men into thinking they are running the show. Believe me though, women are the backbone of this society! They are glad to have the men involved as well.


This little guy watched me like a hawk when I came out of the class to greet the group and listen to them sing for me.

Here again in front of the school, which was the nicest building of them all. Some schools borrow the local anglican churches, others are in the slow process of construction, others are just under a good tree!


It is most fun when you simply wade into the middle, sit with them, and greet them..... at least most of the time, always for me it is....



Until I sat too close to the little girl in the white (in the middle). She was fine until I sat that close. Her getting upset began to scare the little one in yellow behind her. All the rest were fine, but these two were just not comfortable with the strange looking man sitting so close.


The greetings are always the most fun.


Once in ther midst, they really want to get close and be greeted.


Why hire 3 bikes when you can take 6 people on two?


And... arrival at the next school.


They came streaming out of the church to greet me and the teacher had them singing as they came.


Here's one for Lisa Scammell. Those big chairs were placed there for us to sit on. When we pulled up I saw women walking towards us carrying these chairs on their heads as most things are carried in Uganda! Then i realized they had carried them down the road from someone's home for me to sit on!!! Now you know what I'm expecting when I get back to the programs area from you, Tammi (HA HA HA HA!), Heidi and Michelle !! Muah ha ha ha ha !!!!


Their future school being built


Then there are the aspects of these visits that jump on you and are heartbreaking. The girl on the right has a deformity of the left arm and shoulder. Probably something by our standards correctable back home at the earlier age but too costly for these families. The sad looking girl on the left is going blind and can barely see. they don't know why as they cannot afford her medical care.


About to say goodbye.



This is one of the more difficult stories to relate. This hut is part of the home of a child-headed family. They are common in Africa, and I met one such family here unnanounced and I was not really prepared for what I would learn.



This young guy is the second oldest. The oldest is out gathering water, food, etc. Their parents are dead from HIV /AIDS. and Chidreach found the family unsupported. Greedy people wanted their land so the oldest quit school and took over responsibility and farms their 2 or 3 acres. This particular guy has an emptiness in his eyes and a 1000 yard stare. Alot sits on his shoulders as he is pretty much 14 going on 30.



Here are some of his siblings. The youngest is not in this photo but nearby. The youngest is posotive for HIV and the 2 next ones are currently being tested. Childreach now sponsors this family to support their food, medical care and education and regularly checks on them together with neighbors. They are the luckier ones as many other child headed families are without sponsorship. it costs about $65 per month to sponsor this whole family.


Here are the parents buried in the midst of their little farm in between the buildings out in the middle. They died one and two years ago, the mother having died 1 year ago.



Here they are again up closer. The youngest is 3 and he's hiding behind his brothers right now. For some reason (I don't believe it was fear) as the littlest was standing there listening to Margaret explain the situation to me his eyes filled with tears and so he hid behind his brothers. And for some reason (I think the sun was too bright) I had to turn away and walk a few steps myself.


both traditional huts and now as well brick structures are common in the village life. This family is now being sponsored as well and consists of a widow and her children. An American couple visited here and heard her story and saw the tin lean-to she was in and sponsored with Childreach the construction of this beautiful home that cost about 1 million shillings or approx $600.


One of the things Childreach does is economically empower people especially the women. With the childheaded families it is common to sponsor them by buying a cow and a goat as well. With women oftern a sewing machine or wool or fabric can get them going to sustain themselves and their families. Here I am in one of their homes, where this group of women crochet and sell their crafts as a business. Chidreach can sponsor materials and sewing machines to get them goling.



Judge Ogoola is the primary patron and name attached to Childreach and since it is in his home area he is it's most passionate advocate. It was founded by Catherine who works with Judge Ogoola. In talking with her I learned that she has a real vision and plan for the work throughout Uganda. We met when I was at the Judiciary in Kampala with the Judge and we plan to have dinner or something to discuss options and for me to ask questions.



Here I am at the home of Sophie's mom Jesephine (left). The plan was to visit with them and so finally I was able to. We had a traditional African meal (eaten with fingers only) and sat out under the quiet African evening. Earlier i learned the history of Josephines family saw the grandfather's frave in the yard and learned he was a great chief. Then we walked around the village and met the neighbors and friendly people nearby.


The wonderful Josephine! She was just thrilled to have the "man of God" come to her home. She even kneeled on the ground when I met her! (Lisa Scammell pay attention!!!!) We video recorded messages from the whole family for Sophie for me to take back.



"Sophie...... Thanks for letting me visit and spend time with your wonderful family!" You look just like your mom!"


Stephen and Edgar



The front of Josephine's home!



And....lastly for this post, here's me and Douglas again. He is on his best behaviour at his grandma's house! Sophie you'll be proud. Your birthday boy (Saturday) turns 26. He's a little tricky though.... he knows I'm scared of black mamba's and so every time we are near deep grass and I look at him he is laughing at me. When I have forgotten about the snakes and we are walking near tall grass again that's when he grins and tells me there are no mamba's. riiiiight....






























0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated to keep weirdo's away! Sorry for any inconvenience.