Rss Digg Twitter Delicious Facebook Stumbleupon

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Last few days before homeward bound

Here's a pic of our new partner Catherine Piwang -Natabona founder and director of ChildReach together with Justice Ogoola. (Natabona is the female designation of the clan she is part of which is the same clan Justice Ogoola adopted me into as well. The male name for us is "Omutabona") Therefore I am Rev. Mangeni Omutabona or ...Rev. Fish!)

She is showing me crafts, sewing projects, and artwork made by the formerly abducted girls of Northern Uganda in Gulu's IDP camps that she works with. I will bring these ones home for people who might want to adopt a girl (and with her the children she might have) and receive a profile and the story of what she had lived through during the rebel abductions. Whichever girl makes the apron, or purse, or hand sewn card has her name stitched on or printed on so that she is known and so that whoever buys one of the crafts (in this case I've bought them for friends back home) ends up supporting her way of making a living. The sale money of an apron or card or whatever goes entirely to that girl and any children she has.

When crafts sell, Catherine goes to Gulu and brings money, supplies, support, and training to the girls in their little new economic enterprises. She can hand them the proceeds of the sale of numerous items usually in the amount of 10,000 shillings at a time (about $6). That's when they break down and cry as it's the first time they've ever seen a 10,000 bill and are able to buy food, material and keep themselves and their kids alive.


Here is Edreda. She's another friend and partner who together with Penny run "Helping Hands" with the school project where I met the little girl with the water-head problem. She is happy to be about to complete last payment for the latrine hole being dug and they can then begin the very needed project of building the washroom (latrine) structure. Government authorities insist on proper latrine facilities when you operate any school for children.
I had thought of a few friends I want to ask to donate to this project, and then the idea came to me that we could name the latrine after the donor!!! How perfect! Then it hit me who the donor should be.....the sign will read, "the Dana Karapita Outhouse"


Here is my colleague Rev. Fred Komunda the Chaplain at Luzira Prison. He is the Rector of St. John's Church in Luzira town where the Correctional staff live and go to church. I preached the African service and the English service Sunday the 13th for him. I got the biggest compliment when they said I preach like an African! Maybe they were just being African nice and making me feel good.
Even after all the hard work, long days, and many sermons (10 in about 10 days) I will miss this place and these people. I can't wait until the next stage occurs when I bring people from home here to experience this place as well. Stay tuned...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated to keep weirdo's away! Sorry for any inconvenience.